Thursday 20 February 2020

Time to call it.

Well I dont know about the other Grayling anglers across the country but my season has been abysmal to say the least. With all the Dales rivers being flooded, well rephrase that, with all the Dales rivers, most of the fields, and quite a few homes being flooded its time to call it a washout.

I normally finish my season around this time to allow the fish to get on with things so why should this year be any different. The fish this season apart from a few taken on dry fly in September have not been anything to write home about, but there is always next season to look forward too.

Time for the fill in fish to come around the Brown Trout, a mere stop gap for me until the next Grayling season begins, but long hopefully warm summer nights to look forward to not just for the fishing but also to get out on the hills walking, something I have been doing a lot more of over the past year due to work stresses & strains and have to say if it wasnt for taking up photography it wouldn't never have happened, so for that Im thankful.





I recently headed up the Dale hoping to get a decent picture of Ingelborough but the weather wasnt playing & it turned out to be a media oca day and this was the best of a bad bunch.








I'd just like to take this time to say a massive thank you to my friends Klaus, Tina, Hannah & Jakob from Austria who again this year haven't let me down & sent over a lovely piece of home smoked meat, which Im so looking forward to opening tomorrow night with a whisky when I finish work & kick back for the weekend.

Guys I love you to bits thank you so much again.







To all you Grayling anglers out there, take it easy & see you again next season.

8 comments:

  1. Same over here George , my last trip was a week or two ago. Also changes for me to on the rivers front. Dumped the Derwent after another poor season . Next year new places to fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, I think its been the same all over, Yorkshire has been a total wash out as your well aware, I've dropped 2 clubs this year as just wasnt getting the value of them so brought my club list down to 1 which is the one on the Ure & Swale which gave me the best results.

      Delete
  2. Hi George

    As stated in another forum, I have also given up now until the trout season starts. I have had 4 trips this winter (one on the Leven and three on the Tees) and had a sum total of 6 grayling. This time last year it was around a dozen trips with a couple of dozen fish landed!

    Enjoy that cured meat with a nice dram and sit back until the 22nd....... I have some Springbank distracting me until then!

    Thanks

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alistair,
      I have hardly been up on the Tees this past season, far less than previous seasons so much so I have left one of the clubs with water on the Tees and came closer to home as I just wasnt getting the time on the water. Oh trust me the meat & the Orange Black & White dram was lush, so much so the bottle is nearly empty....lol
      all the best
      George

      Delete
  3. Not fished since back end of November either with fly or trotting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi George, what can I say the Hafren (river severn) here holds goodly stocks of the lady and up till the beginning of October I started yo enjoy Czech nymphing for them. However since then not a chance, just when I thought I would get another go--well I'm sure you have had the same. Still taking a leaf from Arthur Ransom in his book 'Rod & Line I have been tying the flies I know I shall need come April (I don't bother till then) but I shall frequent Weston pools fishery till the coarse season is once more upon us. Tight lines tony Newtown Powys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has totally turned me away from anything fishing at the moment & Im doing more photography and walking than anything else, The season was over before it even started but hey ho there is always next year.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.