Saturday 6 March 2021

All is not lost...

 For the 1st time in 15 months I had the fly tying vice back out last night & tied up some spider patterns & some nymphs, but I have to say I have definitely lost the touch, hence the lack of photographs.

Couple of old favourites that has always done well for me early season partridge & orange.

 The 1st two spiders were like a catastrophe that had just happened & were stripped out to be re done again but apart from my eyesight taking a bashing & having to use a magnifier lamp...well we are all getting older I thought for the 2nd time around they weren't too bad & am sure will entice a fish or two.

The nymphs were another favourite of mine, Utah killer bugs, simple but deadly in the right conditions, so considering the amount of time away from the vice it passed an hour or so & gave me hopes for getting out again soon when the restrictions are lifted as although I call the river Ure local to me, less than 10 miles travelling Im staying clear until we can get out more freely & Im sure the fish will still be there.

Last weekend being the first decent couple of days off & away from work allowed me to get the summer trekking tent out & get it sealed & waterproofed again for the new season ahead as I think I have resigned myself to the fact that again this year there isn't going to be any cruising to far flung places so a couple of night out on the hills will keep me sane  and I need the exercise for sure!


Waterproofed and ready to go.


Tomorrow being a dry day I think the waders & rods will get a look over and taken out of storage as they haven't seen the light of day since January 2020, so it will be like meeting old friends again & I can feel the mojo coming back as I am looking forward to getting back out on the river again soon.

8 comments:

  1. Quite right to...Get yourself back out there . The rovers are just as beautiful as they were before Covid... probably more so... This season we must meet up...
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy,
      Never doubted that I wouldnt get back out, been at the fishing too long to turn away completely, just a few weeks more to go, Yes we must get together soon. all the best George

      Delete
  2. Hi George,

    Good to hear that there were a few flies hatching from your vice. I am sure the knack will soon be back!

    Take care, stay safe and I hope we will get to meet up on the river soon.

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alistair, hope all is well.

      Delete
    2. Hi George

      We are all good here in the circumstances! Sounds like it is the same at your end as well........

      Alistair

      Delete
    3. Good to hear it Alistair cheers

      Delete
  3. Welcome back George. I have recently rediscovered using my old 40 year glass rod and fishing nymphs and spiders old style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not back yet Neil, I dont currently class going fishing as essential travel no matter how many miles from the river so wont be back until the restrictions are lifted .

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.