Thursday 6 May 2021

In the Clouds

 Over the bank holiday weekend I decided to go and investigate an area I had viewed from afar on my last mountain adventure. 

Doing a little research I found that it was mentioned in Alfred Wainwrights book - Walks in the Howgill Fells.

Stennerskeugh & Fell End Clouds, white limestone crags & pavements seated across the lower slopes of Wild Boar Fell in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.


A view of the only signs of inhabitants on the full slopes which was a rudimentary old farm house, now in ruin which is called Harry Hope's Land, named after the last occupant who is said to have etched out a living and farmed there until 1820 and since then it has lay in ruin.





Looking back on Harry Hope's you can see the old ruined field boundaries.





Heading further up onto the crags over the years various cairns have popped up all over the place, nobody seems to know what significance they take.








A view I could never tire of is this magnificent amphitheatre shaped limestone pavement.




 





The ever changing light making it a special place to be, albeit a very cold day.












As I headed over the clouds I came to a tree which again was mentioned in Alfred wainwrights book, so has been here battered by the elements for quite a few years.







And a few other views from various locations along the clouds










A place I intend to visit again in the future during various seasons


2 comments:

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.