Tuesday 3 August 2021

Climbing a Sleeping Elephant

 Was back in the hills again recently & had an agenda that I wanted to fulfil which was to climb the highest of the sleeping elephants I came across on my last trip to these hills. 




Yes there is a place higher in the range which I completed last time but this one stands off to the side & out of all the hills looks like an elephant from afar.

The read arrow indicating where I wanted to be by the end of the day.




The walk in was hot & the litre of water I had in my bottle soon went, but I knew the streams albeit very dry at the moment would still be running from the few springs dotted up the Dale which I had observed last visit.


After a couple of hours of trekking, mainly uphill it was time to drop back down into the valley & stock up on water before climbing up to my target, Unfortunately there was no springs up there so I had to pack up 3 litres of water to keep me going through till I descended again, with my pack already at 20 Kgs with camping & photographic kit I certainly didn't look forward to the extra 3 Kgs of water.




The view across to Cautley Crags & Cautley Spout was something else with Cautley Spout being the highest above ground waterfall in England, dropping 650 ft straight down the rock face.




It wasnt too long until I was within the sight of the summit cairn & my goal achieved, Even though I was blowing through every orifice in my body...lol 


& the best part of it all....I hadn't came into contact with another human since leaving the car which was sublime as I really needed the thinking time & peace & quiet which this walk was giving me.

Tent up & time to chill


Im often asked why I enjoy wild camping & the above picture really says it all without explaining.





The view back down the Dale next morning on the descent, wasnt to be sniffed at either.




Also managed a couple of hours on the river which I have to say is in desperate need of water with only a few of the deeper pools holding any water, nothing to write home about but a Grayling graced me with its presence.


As I was finishing off, the pilot obviously seen me on the river and came for a closer view as he flew around me twice banking the aircraft over before heading off down the Dale.






2 comments:

  1. Hi George

    What a superb trek, thanks for taking us along with you......

    I envy those views, but not the steep descents - I have found over weight packs and precipitous gradients shred knees and end careers!

    Tell you what though, that Osprey at the end would be my icing on the cake!

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alistair, Positive mental attitude does it for me with the walking uphill / downhill & I do take my time as I have no cartledges in both my knees had them removed at a very early age. The Osprey buzzed me a couple of times, clearly interested in what I was up to, certainly a lot different than the old Chinooks I flew in at hedgerow height across NI.
      Be safe mate
      George

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.