Thursday 9 September 2021

Challenge Completed.

 When I started venturing out with the camera, then spending the odd night out, I set myself a challenge of walking the full length on Wensleydale at height, all the peaks & high fells on both sides of the Dale.  To drive at low level what people call the Wensleydale Loop it is 60 miles by road, so to calculate the miles done with the ascending & descending  all the high peaks & fells I wouldnt like to estimate a guess at what the miles would be.  

Not to be deterred I promised myself I would finish it, but I have to say I blasted it out the park as not only did I complete the original challenge I set myself  but also added Cotterdale, Grisedale, Garsdale & the Upper Eden Valley peaks & fells to the challenge as they were on the way of my travels.


Sunday saw me climb the last 2 hills to complete my challenge that I set myself.




Looking up at Rise Hill and slightly out of shot Aye Gill Pike were the final 2 hills to complete.





Walking up the ridge of Rise hill saw me looking down into Dentdale on one side & Garsdale on the other, with views of the Carlisle to Settle railway as it carves it way through the Yorkshire Dales. 


Looking back on the Arten & Dent head railway viaducts.








A closer look of the Arten viaduct & the workmanship that went into building them all those years ago.


 



Skirting the edge of the forest I seen a couple of rubber fire beaters which as a kid I used to see them all the time but nowadays they are as rare as rocking horse shit,  this is the first Ive seen in many years.




Looking down on Garsdale and the views beyond makes it all worth while for me, I never seen a single person in all the time I was walking, a very quiet part of the Dales, nice to get away with just your thoughts & forget the stresses everyday life now throws at us.






The view down into Dentdale weren't to be sniffed at either.




With longer views across onto the Howgills.







The final summit & challenge completed.


It was now time to find somewhere to spend the night, have some food & a few drams whilst letting the world go by at a slower pace for the night.





My window onto the world for the next 12 hours or so.





and my home for the night with the nearest neighbours a few miles away far below me.


a nice spot to finish off a challenge & think of whats happening next.........I wonder!

8 comments:

  1. Hi George

    Those are some stunning views you had there, and what a window on the world you had for 12 hours.........

    We had some similar views a couple weeks ago at Cockburn Law & Dirrington Great Law up in the Lammermuir Hills on our annual holidays.

    Take care & stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alistair, Hope you enjoyed I know once I get away from the car into nature again its like a weight lifted off, cant beat it.
      Take it easy buddy
      all the best
      George

      Delete
  2. Hey George, it's Ian/Tigger, just popped in to see how your doing.
    By the look of it your doing very well.
    All the best bud
    Cheers
    Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian,
      Nice to see you dropping by, am still here & not too bad buddy, would be better if there was some water in the rivers but the winter Grayling season will be upon us again soon & hopefully good levels for it.
      Take it easy buddy
      all the best
      George

      Delete
  3. nice to see you keeping fit mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure who you are as you haven't left your name but yes, keeping active :)

      Delete
  4. George great work with the camera. Love them all but I do have favorites.
    Number 4,8 and 9

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan appreciate the comments as always. I hope your well.
      George

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.