Monday 20 April 2015

A hatch and some dry fly action

I decided to have a few hours on the river today and headed out mid morning hoping to catch a hatch of flies around lunchtime. The weather was meant to be overcast with cloud which it was when I left, however on reaching the river the sun was high in the sky, there was hardly a cloud and the river was very low & gin clear, not what the BBC weather told me it would be like.

I sat by the river watching out for any fly activity and sure enough about 40 minutes after I had sat down the odd fly started to hatch and then some more and so on.



View from my vantage point across the river & up the Dale.










It didn't take long for fish to start to rise to the hatching olives, but as I soon found out it wasn't trout which were rising to the flies but small grayling and I couldn't get any trout for the masses of small grayling taking the hatching flies.

After 20 or so casts and around 12 small grayling landed and returned I moved downstream out of the way of the grayling which although were great to see and fighting fit this wasnt what I had come for.

As I walked downstream it was nice to see the marigolds out in full bloom along the riverbank.



The hatch was still happening and I observed an area just at the tail of a pool where one fish was coming up quite frequent for the flies, so I maneuvered below him along the riverbank and cast back upstream to where he was rising and first cast across up he came and took my imitation.



A lovely wild fish and beautifully marked, and as always returned to fight another day.













I walked on downstream where I came across all the sand-martins taking full advantage of the bank erosion which had happened over the winter.


Nice to see them back along the river again. There was a lot of par moving around, but nothing of any size. I only saw one other decent fish which wasn't interested in any fly I threw across it, as I walked to the bottom of the stretch before turning around and walking back upstream to a now silent river as the hatch was over and the fish were no longer rising.
A couple of hours well spent along the river with a lovely fish and some sit downs along the way to take in the nature around me.

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely looking trout George from a real nice looking stretch of water, nice to see spring is finally getting there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Col, Its a lovely stretch but desperate for some water, as like most places down here right now. Tight lines mate

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colours on that one George, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brian, a lovely small wild trout, thankfully becoming more frequent on the rivers now :)

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.