The first one I needed to finish off after constantly putting back on the back burner was to finish off 3 floats I had promised a friend in time for the trotting season.
The first floats I have personally built in a longtime, so anyone wanting floats dont build your hopes up, these took me 3 months since starting them, I just have not got the mojo for float building right now and enjoy the fishing & teaching side of things more at the moment. But just to keep the blog name true to its word I added a flee from my recent tying's.
This year I have set myself a personal challenge, which is to leave the trotting rod at home more and try with the fly rod & bugs, something I have been meaning to do for quite sometime but never got around to it. So in anticipation I ordered some mono from a company in china which I liked the look of to start making up long leaders.
I cannot praise this company enough, from ordering to arriving at my door took 5 days and at half the cost of UK companies. I have already made two 19ft long leaders up and had a cast with them in the field across from my house and after a few adjustments I have to say they handle just as well if not better than some of the commercially made ones I have tried but at a fraction of the cost and in colours that I can see without altering things with marker pens etc.
With more & more people trying things out in the bug making side of things I wanted to try some soft latex I was gifted by a friend who uses them for perch, too big for my needs I set about with a Stanley knife, some glue and a couple of different coloured marker pens, came up with these to try next trip out.
all tied on a size 14 with 3.5mm tungsten bead which should get them down amongst the grayling.