Sunday 28 January 2018

No Fishing but a Walk Instead

I had hopes of getting tho the fishing today but the recent weather fronts put a stop to that, The river was dropping nicely until yesterday's rain shot it back up well over the fishable level and combined with the high winds blowing down the Dale it wasnt a day for the rods, so leaving the rods at home I slipped on the wellies and went for a walk with the camera along the river instead.






The first snowdrops I've seen this year are now in plentiful supply all along the riverbank.








As I walked up the Dale away from the road the wildlife became more apparent with a few large Hares running at speed away from me to the safety of the opposite hedgerow, the usual geese making a racket as I approached before taking to the wing and heading away from me also.





I decided to sit below a big oak tree and see if they would come back around and sure enough 10 minutes later they had landed where they had taken off from and started feeding again.







What impressed me even more was the sound of Curlew's calling from behind me and as I turned around I saw the largest group of Curlews I've seen in a very long time, I counted 15 in total with just being able to snap the last few away at distance.


They say they are in decline in the Dales, if anything like todays sighting is to go by, I'd say they are definitely making an appearance again.



I walked another field upstream and came across a goose which had died, only a day or so by the condition of it so waste not want not the wing quills were extracted and will join the pile I already have awaiting to be turned into floats, If ever I find the inspiration again.





Another good float making material I seen in abundance was teasel, Although this stuff is still pretty fresh as t still has all the thorns attached, I did find some older stuff which I was able to harvest.






Just over an hour and a half walk seen me back at the Devil's Bridge where I had started my walk.


If ever the wife throws me out, I know where a dry hole is, however would'nt like to say it stays dry in ever flood.
















A nice day for a walk, when fishing was out of the question and some more materials to sit in the float making bin if & when I get around to it again.


A photo which I took last night from my front room looking out across the Dale was quite spectacular in the colours the sky was throwing around.



4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed walking with you George.
    Steps taken in the natural world have such refreshing qualities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be made very welcome Alan if ever you crossed this side of the pond.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. For sure Tommy, Won't be long till the long summer nights stalking rising trout :)

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.