Sunday 15 July 2018

Fishing!....Sounds more like a golf score

 Last night I decided to head to the cold water where I hoped of a repeat of last weekend with a couple of Grayling maybe, well that was my hopes.

Arriving on the stretch just after 6pm I walked to my start point to see an angler already in the pool. I sat on the bank as he finished up and came towards me & we greeted each other, not the normal accent I would associate around these parts but that said neither is my Scottish accent. Turns out it is a visiting angler from Belgium and his friend was further upstream with one of our local guides I bump into from time to time on the river.

John & the other visiting angler appeared soon after and we all sat & chewed the fat through the day they had and the evening I was hoping to have, a few small fish were caught and one of the anglers had taken two small Grayling to dry fly, his first ever Grayling caught. The football scores were mentioned a few times between them but I was staying neutral and soon afterwards we all shook hands and they headed back to their cars.

The river had dropped since last weekend but was still very much in a fishable state but on the 40 minutes I had been sat speaking and setting up after the lads had gone, I never seen one fish rise worth mentioning, a few very small Par had broken the surface but nothing more.





The sun was starting to dip behind the trees as I strolled to the pool and took my first cast of the evening.








Starting off on a couple of nymphs it didn't take long until my first fish of the evening took a liking to my dropper.


A couple more Grayling of similar size followed from the pool before I moved to the next pool where I was hoping for a repeat of the size of Grayling I took for it last week, alas my wishes were not answered as the Grayling had been replaced with Par both salmon & Brown Trout and as I finally left the pool the count was Par 9.








I sat and observed my next pool, a fast pool with plenty of oxygenated water coming into it and seen a few rises amongst the fast water, so I opted to change to dry fly thinking that the Grayling would be sat in here taking flies coming down n the current.







The first fish that took my dry was a slightly bigger trout of around a half pound but it soon gave me the slip as I was about to net it, and all the remaining fish were Par.


I lost count after I reached the 20 mark and although no larger fish made an appearance I still thoroughly enjoyed my evening on the river was a Par 20 + scorecard. 

As I waded back to the bank making my way back to the car I stumbled over somethings dinner table.

Either fur or feather they have been feeding well on the crayfish, nice to see a few more taken from the river and long may it continue.

4 comments:

  1. Well George this post is up to par....
    I just love those little trout, I have had some of my best days in pursuit of those gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im thrilled to catch them Alan, I never tire of them, some folk often ask why I bother, but i always say size isn't everything & beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a very pleasant session. I'm afraid our rivers and drains in West Norfolk are suffering in the heat, a bit like me. Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same up here John trust me, I had to travel a bit to find water high up in the pennines, which is mostly run off from the reservoirs.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.