Sunday 15 September 2019

Hard Earned.

Another Sunday session back on the river for a few hours and I have to say Autumn is definitely coming, the water was much colder than last week & there was a nip in the air so much so that nothing was moving on the river as I sat and tackled up.






Observing the pool for 20 minutes before finally making a decision on which method to start on, it had to be nymphs with nothing moving on the surface at all. It was almost an hour before I felt the first fish and a small trout came to the net.








I could sense it was going to be a difficult day as this pool normally produces a fish or two through experience of fishing it but there was simply nothing stirring apart from this single small trout.




I pushed on upstream and started taking more brown trout from the fast water. Nothing of any size but it was just nice to be catching. I was very surprised that no Grayling had made an appearance as that was the real quarry I had come for.












It was a hard session and a few miles were covered with virtually no reward.







I decided to head back down to the pool that I had started in before calling it a day as I knew if any Grayling were going to show themselves that would be my best chance of grabbing one or two, I hadn't seen a single sole on the river, not that I was complaining I had the full river to myself which allowed me to search out every nook & cranny in the search of fish.

Almost immediately in the pool I felt the distinct pull of a Grayling and sure enough the first Grayling soon graced my net.







I was relieved and happy as this was what I had come for and although the trout are great sport I really dont want to be catching them this late in the season as I noticed that they are starting to milt up already.






Another 10 minutes produced the 2nd Grayling before I finally called a halt to it and headed back to the car contented that on a dull, cool day where the wind was playing having with bite indication I managed to grab a few hard earned fish.



8 comments:

  1. Lovely fish worth the wait.
    I am back on the river (at last) as of yesterday, On the Swale at Catterick. 35 Grayling and a couple of Brownies alas not with fly but with Pin and Float

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least your back on the river Neil thats all that counts.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking grayling there George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice grayling George. I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome over here anytime if you fancy a day at the Grayling.

      Delete
  4. Cracking fish there George.....
    I had a good trip up to Teesdale last weekend with several good trout and grayling (including an absolute lunker nearly 19"!) on wets and dries. Not as many as your previous trip, but I was a bit rusty after almost a month from a river.
    After a hectic couple of weeks at work and at home, I am hoping to get out this weekend to the Leven. However, we must meet up soon!!!!
    Thanks
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well done Alistair, there is sum superb fish up there, its just a case of finding them. Im slowly getting back into the swing of things after an injury but I my session is just beginning as I prefer Grayling over trout so hopefully weather & rivers will play ball this year and give us a good Grayling season. I know we need to get together soon. all the best George

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.