Sunday 10 November 2019

Trout Tastic

Well after paying my respects on Remembrance Day, the skies were blue the rivers carrying about 2ft extra than usual but you know what I decided I was going fishing no matter what.






Even at mid day there was still frost on the ground where the sun hadn't reached.








With this much water still in the river I opted for a cautious approach as this stretch is treacherous at the best of times so a few runs I would normally fish were passed by today for a more safer route.

That didn't deter the fish as almost immediately I was hooking into fish on the point nymph I was fishing, mainly OOS trout though but still very much in a healthy state and fighting well. A few fingerling Grayling also obliged before the run went totally dead.

Moving upstream I was presented stunning colours as the trees start turning before loosing their leaves completely.









It took a bit of searching but I finally found a few small grayling just off the main flow which obliged my nymphs.











The trout were still very much active & I took another 4 trout, one of which was a big cock male & I would estimate to be above the 4lbs mark, still fighting fit & ran me a merry dance in the fast water, I looked at this beautiful creature in the net & only wished I had bumped into him a few months back in the trout season as I slipped the net from under him & he swam back to where he had come.





As the light began to fade and a few leaves fell into the water.


I called it an afternoon and headed back to the car, very contented that I not only had managed to get out but also had some fish for my troubles, all the while at the back of my mind remembering the sacrifices of my friends & family who had fallen, I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones.

6 comments:

  1. Great fishing George

    I haven't looked at the levels for ages but would have put money on our local rivers being in the fields after all of the recent rains. Just shows how spate rivers go up and down quickly. Lovely trout that but you just know you'll never see it during the season.

    Regards

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I have been watching the levels like a hawk for weeks now & come weekend its always unfishable so when after remembrance was finished I had a look see & took a chance which fortunately paid of for a few hours. Cheers George

      Delete
  2. Evening George

    'They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them'

    After visiting the Cenotaph myself to see my eldest parade with the Yorkshire Regiment and to pay my respects and remember fallen family members and colleagues, I thought briefly about heading up to the Tees. The thought soon vanished quickly and I spent the afternoon at the vice believing the rivers would be blown out. Reading your report and seeing those grayling has now made me wish I had followed my first instinct!

    Lest we forget.......

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so Alistair, I contemplated the tees but it would have taken to long for me so headed to my nearest, still high but with some walking I found them, a nice couple of hours.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic read, love the photo of the single leaf in the water

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.