Sunday 31 March 2019

Waiting on the Hatch

I decided today I was travelling light with only one small box of dry flies and headed up the Dale in search of a hatch. The wind was cold when I reached my destination and Im glad I took my jacket along for good measure.

Walking downstream observing as I went there was no surface movement at all, The Oystercatchers were making a racket so I suspected that I was close to their nest which I discovered last year on the same stretch of shingle, I didn't want to disturb them anymore than necessary so moved on downstream past them.




The water was lower than I had expected and some of the deeper holes I could peer straight down into as the water clarity was almost crystal clear.







I sat in the fir wood which broke the wind on the river and observed the surface for any hatch and sure enough after a few moments seen a couple of small midges hatching off, opting to sit here for a wee while I decided to get the kettle on and have a few moments watching the surface so might as well have a brew whilst Im waiting.


As I sat drinking my coffee I seen the first of the olives to hatch only the odd one or two but then more and more started floating on past me.















It was time to move into a position where I thought a few fish might be taking up the offer of some surface food and sure enough a few fish were rising. I sat & watched what I suspected to be Grayling rising so with a few casts I had the first fish of the day, a small Grayling about a half pound. After it was slipped back I caught movement out the side of my eye, and thought it might be a trout rising but alas after a few casts over its head it turned out to be another Grayling as it rose & took my artificial. I slipped my hand under it and slipped the hook out of its mouth as a few eggs excreted from its body. Time to move on and leave the ladies to it.







Walking downstream past the blossom on the blackthorn bushes I came to another pool and sat & watched,  again only small Grayling moving to the olives.








I didn't find it befitting casting to fish that are out of season so let them be & headed back upstream in the direction of the car.

With nothing further observed moving to any surface movement I walked through the back of the woods and headed to the car.



New buds are appearing everywhere you look and its really a colorful time of year to be on the riverbank, even the bluebells are starting to poke their heads out on the banks.












The daffodils starting to get past their best as I arrived back at the car.

Maybe no trout today but a good chilled out session on the river.

8 comments:

  1. Spring is such a lovely time with things blooming everywhere. Even though the trout didn't take notice of the olives, it looks like a lovely day outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day Mark, Cold at times but nothing nicer than just forgetting everything thats going on and totally switch off completely. The fishing was just a bonus.

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I look forward to when the trout start moving. Tight lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon, Yes I think from speaking to a lot of anglers who were out over the weekend I wasnt the only one to struggle with the trout.

      Delete
  3. Soon George, soon.
    I like your coffee pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely Alan, Its always on if you're over this side.

      Delete
  4. Hi George
    Altough no trout where brought to hand, it looks and sounds like it was a pleasant trip out.
    I am hoping to get out in the next few weeks - I have two weeks off between projects and I'm sure wetting a line will help break up the time .
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck alistair a lot of snow melt will be coming downstream after last nights downfall higher up, am hoping that it wont deter the trout too much this weekend.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.