Thursday 17 October 2019

Scratching the Itch

The weekend came and yet again high water levels dictated that it wasnt going to be a fishing weekend so the walking boots & camera rucksack were placed in the boot of the car at an ungodly hour of 0500hrs and I set off heading up the A1 to a place I've driven past many many times but never stopped so it was time to rectify that.




First port of call was Low Force on the river Tees just as it started to get light & with nobody around I had the place to myself to do as I pleased.







This was an area of the Tees I always said I would visit but sort of stayed away from due to the popularity of the place but it was an itch I had to scratch hence the early start to see as much of the place before the place got busy as it normally does being right on the route of the Pennine way.




After a few shots from different angles of Low Force it was time to start heading upstream to my 2nd place of interest High Force, a short steady walk upstream passing some interesting characters on route.






I was surprised to see these next 2 photographs as I had never seen them advertised or photographed before & being a fisherman they really appealed to me.















Heading upstream there were quite a few places along the river I stopped to take in the stunning views with always the thought at the back of my mind "what a lovely pool to fish"



A short pleasant walk & I was soon hearing the roar of water from High Force.




















And as close to the edge as I was ever going to get!



I had heard of a lesser waterfall higher up the river within walking distance and wanted to see it for myself so tightening the straps on my rucksack & putting my head down into the wind I headed upstream.








I have to say it was well worth the walk as I have to admit I thought this waterfall was the best of them all I had seen so far that morning.


It was time to walk back downstream in the direction of my last port of call, a waterfall close the where I had parked the car, Gibson's Cave, although not a cave but may well have been many years ago when it was used as a hideout in years gone past.


I have to say the morning's walk certain scratched the itch that I had and I for one will be back again in this beautiful part of the world, stopping the next time instead of driving past.


Just to finish off on route back home up over the tops of the Tees Dales & into Swaledale.






The old pack horse bridge at Ivelet.
Then over the butter tubs pass & back into Wensleydale.

3 rivers ventured, The Tees, Swale & Ure and not a rod in my hand but what stunning scenery.

2 comments:

  1. George. Your pack bridge photo is a stunner. The colours and exposure are fantastic.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Neil, I have to say it came out better than I had anticipated as it was late on in the day. Hopefully fish for next report:)

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.