Monday 4 November 2019

No Fishing Again this Weekend

I want to change the days we work and move the weekend to a Monday & Tuesday in Yorkshire, as those are the only 2 days that the rivers are fishable, come Thursday night the heavens open & the rivers are massive and unfishable, but as soon as we are back at work they drop & are fishable again....Frustrating or what!

So with all this time on my hands what have I been up to? I actually thought my thrill seeking days were over when I left the forces in 2006 but yesterday I had different ideas, I had identified 2 waterfalls in North Yorkshire where no matter how long & hard I've searched I've not found a single picture of them online....I now know why!

With 6 points of contact hugging the steep ravine sides hands, knees & feet I inched my way down the side with 40lbs of camera gear on my back, lets just say I was relieved to see the bottom.

May I present Yew Scar Force








At over 60ft from the top of the falls to the small pool at the bottom. Its not for the faint hearted to get to, hence I hadn't found any photographs of it online.











The journey back out was even slower than the decent with one step forward, 2 slides back, again I was relieved to get out, as I sat resting on the ground with my back against a dry stone wall I spotted a wooden cross right at the end of the ravine before it drops over the edge, it was hard to read but after rubbing off the slime with some moss The inscription on it read "John Cherry 1937 - 2000 New Zealand" and this was the view he has from his spot.


Now thats a view I wouldn't mind having after I pass, may John Cherry R.I.P.





Walking back down heading for my next pot of call the views cross the Dale were  something else.






Arriving at my next waterfall I have to say that was 5 times harder than the last one & there was no way I was chancing my luck again, so that certainly wont be getting photographed by me thats for sure!
With time on my hands now I revisited an old favourite that crosses the River Swale at Ivelet.


Ivelet Pack Bridge

A stop off for something to eat & drink I soon then arrived at my next port of call and with the walking boots on I set off heading for height & this is where I encountered my 2nd memorial in the day, High on the Hill




















again another great view to look out over.








Time to head back with a smaller water cascade on my way home.


I may not be on the water fishing but you wont find me far from it even if I haven't got a rod in my hand.

4 comments:

  1. not looking good over here in the East either George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy I think there is just a big rain cloud that permanently hangs over Yorkshire...lol

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.