Sunday 1 December 2019

A Few Ladies Obliged.

The frost was thick on the ground this morning as I made my way to the river, still carrying some extra water but fishable.





The ground crunching under foot, but I was at a very moderate gas mark 6 in my waders as it was time to break out my lomo suit for the first time this year & I have to say the best £25 I ever spent a few years ago.






I sat on the bank watching for signs of movement as the salmon are on this river & I didn't want to disturb them and it didn't take long to see where they were with all the bow waves zig zagging over the gravels. Also whilst watching them I saw a stoat  running along the far bank no doubt looking for something to eat.

It was great to be back on the river as I've missed being there, not only for the fishing but the nature that comes with it.


It didn't take long until I was into the first fish, taken on the dropper and the correct species I was looking for.




A good start back onto the river, and just as I was taking the photograph a kingfisher whizzed by and sat on the trees 20  yards away, just too far for a decent picture but always nice to see.








It was a bit of a gap until the next fish took and unfortunately not the species I was looking for , a lovely OOS Trout but in great condition, and that was the trend for the next 3 fish before I got back into the ladies again.






Nothing big but very welcome on a clear cold day like today.












The fish were deep and hugging the bottom of the river, and although up to my waist in freezing cold water I can honestly say my lomo suit was doing its job, I was nice and warm.










As I was walking back upstream before heading home for lunch I observed a few fish rising, I have to admit I was tempted so sat for 10 minutes watching to see if they would rise again & one of them came up a total of 4 times before it stopped, it didn't justify swapping over to the dry fly & after all I had a lovely couple of hours & some homemade soup was beckoning me home.

8 comments:

  1. Good morning George,

    I have been following your blog for some time and find your grayling very interesting. Aside from their beauty and their willingness to take a fly I have a question as to their size. Most of the fish seem very close in size. Do they get larger and if so is the river they're in have the final say in their growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan,
      I hope your well. Oh yes the Grayling get much bigger than the ones I have been catching recently but as you suggest they are mainly river related. The largest Grayling I have had is 3 lbs 8 oz this was from a larger river in Scotland, where the conditions & feeding is better for them than where I am fishing now. The average weight on the rivers I fish at the moment is less than 1 lbs with a 2 lbs fish being a specimen.

      Delete
  2. Hi George,

    I have missed being out on the river terribly since the end of the Trout season, but plan to get out this weekend up into Teesdale - hopefully I too will bump into some obliging ladies (Shh..... Don't tell the missus!).

    PM me if you are about and able to catch up.

    Thanks

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alistair,
      I doubt if I will get the chance to be out again this year to be honest, if I do it will be grabbing a quick hour as I have so much to do before the new year. cheers George

      Delete
  3. George,

    Lovely to see, a real treat. They are beautiful fish. All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Cheers mate, I dont think it will happen again this year, everywhere up here is a complete wash out with the weather, rivers are in the fields currently & more rain forecast.

      Delete
  4. Some nice fish there George. I’m still struggling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon,
      We are all struggling, the rivers around here just arent fishable when Im off so to have a couple in a few hours was a breath of fresh air.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.