Thursday 13 January 2022

12 mile leg stretch

I managed to get out on Sunday for a 12 mile leg stretch up on the moors and have to say if I live to 100 then what I would probably never see again what I saw on Sunday.....

There was still a fair bit of snow around & hard frost on all the tracks, & I took a knee a couple of times when my feet slid out under me. My plan was to go around a few huts that the estate allow walkers to shelter in & just get the feel of the places as I intend to do some walks here this year & these havens are always nice to know about.


The view across the moors.







The 1st of the huts and a haven for weary walkers in foul weather



and the view looking out




It wasnt long before I left the hut far behind & caught the 1st sight of the castle as I dropped down off the moor for a short stretch.



I continued on to a place I had picked out on the map to have lunch & have to say Im glad I did.






A hut, a waterfall & a lovely view, perfect for lunch.










This is where I saw the most unusual sight ever in my lifetime. I was sitting in the hut having a coffee when I heard a commotion up by the waterfall behind me, I didn't think to grab the camera & just went up to see what it was & there in front of me in a small pool below the waterfall was an otter trying to drown a rabbit. I froze immediately but the otter saw me & bolted out the water into the bracken and out of sight leaving the rabbit bobbing in the pool. I went back & grabbed the camera & this was the aftermath to what I saw.


I dont normally interfere with nature but I couldn't leave the rabbit in the stream not able to get out so lifted it out & laid it on the bank where it lay for about 10 minutes before finally recovering enough to slip down into a nearby burrow.
 

Leaving the otter & bunny show behind I headed out again for another hut up on the moors & it was a short time before it came into view.






Perched high up on the hill will commanding views all around.








With the view out.






The visitor book made light hearted reading & this entry caught my eye. Nice to see that the huts were respected, clean & tidy and people enjoying themselves.










one of the locals keeping an eye on me as I took my parting shot before heading back to the car.

Nice to be back out on the moors again.

2 comments:

  1. stunning, but what a strange experiene. Bet Mr Attenborough hasn't witnessed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...nature can really impress you at times.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.