Sunday 27 May 2012

A day of two halves

Yesterday my good lady & myself decided that a day out at the 2012 Yorkshire Game Fair at Stockeld Park in Wetherby was the agenda for the day, We had an absolutely brilliant day out and met so many friendly people from all avenues of the countryside from Gamekeepers, the Falconers, Hounds men and other anglers and many more. It was nice to see that the Hunting and other Country Pursuits have a good following and are being well represented. The Birds of Prey Displays were second to none and although I prefer to see these birds in the wild I can appreciate some have been rescued or have other outstanding reasons as to why they are kept.
































 I  was however disappointed in the poor showing from the angling fraternity, there was a large angling arena and the only thing that the angling side could produce was The angling trust teaching anyone who wanted to try out angling for the 1st time, this would have been the ideal situation for well known angling bodies from all aspects of angling to get the message out, an opportunity lost in my opinion.
Well done to the Angling trust, Peter Johnson and a fly tying company  for trying to uphold the side of the anglers.
It was excellent to stand and speak to Peter Johnson a traditional Cane Rod maker about all things Cane, he was a pleasure to listen to and had time for everyone. 

 The Scottish side of Yorkshire was even represented by the City of Leeds Pipe Band.

 
Decided when I got home to go out after the gloaming rise and seek out the Trout, so was on the river just after 6pm and wish I had waited till much later as all I could muster till the sun went down after 9pm were 2 very small Grayling.
I stood and chatted to a couple of other guys who were also struggling but one at least had caught a 2lbs trout.
I headed upstream just as the sun was going behind the trees and started to see fish move where I ended up the night with 4 stocked Brown trout which I have to say were in poor condition with tails that looked like they had a tangle with a shredding machine.
I managed another stockie as I made my way back to the car so it ended up not a too bad night for sport, shame about the condition of the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.