Saturday 6 April 2013

Work parties are bad for your health

Today was the Bearpark Fly Fisher's Club work party & AGM, it was decided to meet up the Dale on our top stretch and work our way downstream clearing both banks.  I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of people who turned up and the array of tools that were brought from chainsaws to tin snips.

It was agreed on what had to be done and off we set in our groups, It was only  20 minutes later that I drew first blood literally, when I opened my right eye brow up by 2 inches, a nice curved wound and will certainly detract from my good looks if it scars over.


 It may even end up as good as Jason Isaac's Eyebrow scar in the classic film Black hawk Down.
 Lesson learned dont tangle with branches above head height and try and pull down on them, sometimes they snap and drop onto you at a rapid rate.



 By lunchtime we had made good progress and were halfway down the stretch, when the 2nd injury appeared, a lovely big blister right in the palm of my hand from welding a garden implement on the brambles......I invited the Chairman to explain how good the clubs liability insurance was and was promised a free pint a the pub after so that was that settled.
It was all certainly worth it to have fishing stretches like this in the summer


Joking aside the amount of work achieved was beyond expectation and the club is looking very healthy which is nice to see, there was plenty fly life coming down the river but I never once seen a rising fish and there is still plenty of snow up the Dale, so I think it will be a few weeks yet before its worth a full day's venture, health permitting, but it will certainly be an easier walk down after today's work.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a few Hollywood scars to make you look rugged!

    Oddly enough, I spent yesterday weeding, digging over and planting. The exercise made me feel very good but then I spoilt it all by getting drunk with Marcia's brother so I feel like sh*t now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I read, the more I realise I'm at the wrong end of the country!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.