Sunday 9 February 2014

Cedar & Iron Blue

Sounds like the two well know drinks Cidre & Irn Bru,  they would have been very welcome yesterday mixed or separately after trying to sort out the hassles of auction sites and small print, unfortunately I had to settle for coffee being on standby engineer once again.

Thankfully these floats & flees kept me sane.....

A couple of weeks back I got an email from a Scotsman working across the Atlantic in Newfoundland  asking if I had any use for cedar & could I make floats from it?

A short time later an envelope drops through the letterbox containing lengths of cedar dowel and these are the results of the material sent.






3 turned floats for trotting in a couple of forms made from the cedar dowels lying below them.








I have to admit I'm quite impressed with the natural rings in the cedar and the way it shows through even though I used a dark wood dye to see what it turned out like on one of them.







I would like to thank John for his kind generosity and for posting the wood across the Atlantic to me.









Whilst waiting for the coats of lacquer to dry, there was nothing better to do than sit & read one of the monthly magazines I subscribe to when I came across  the Iron Blue Nymph by the famous gentleman himself  GEM Skues.
Although not tied on the same long shank hooks, I tied these up using the same substitutes as stated in the article and these will be fished in the coming trout season should the rivers ever get back to normal.


 

Tied on a size 16 traditional wet fly hook.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.