Saturday 30 September 2017

Sloe Time

After driving past the Blackthorn bushes last weekend and seeing them heavy with berry I decided to have a trip up this afternoon for an hour of foraging.






 I had a good look at the half dozen or so bushes I frequent and the ones with undisturbed views of the south were heavy with large ripe berries where the one on the northern side of the bush were slightly smaller but ripe never the same.






After about 50 minutes of foraging  and my fingers starting to feel the effects of the sharp thorns which protect the berries I called it quits and headed home.


Washed, de-wooded and ready to weigh into 2 lbs bags for freezing, to split them prior to the sloe whisky making process.






From the foraging in the short time I was out I accumulated 7 lbs of sloes, enough for 3 litres of whisky as I like to use 2 lbs of sloes to a litre of whisky for a nice flavour.






Everyone has different ways of producing sloe whisky or gin but the recipe I was taught many many years ago and has stood me in good stead every year with many friends complementing me on the taste is as follows:


  • 2 lbs of sloes, thawed out after spending a couple of days in the freezer to help split the skins, this takes out the need to prick the skins with a needle as so many people suggest!
  • 1 litre of whisky, entirely up to yourself which brand, but does not need to be expensive brands so a supermarket brand will suffice as the sloes change the taste anyway. I personally prefer famous grouse as my base.
  • 250g of white sugar, Everyone has personal tastes, some prefer sweet, others prefer stronger. Personally I prefer edging towards the stronger with a hint of sweetness as did the man who taught me so I've not changed the amount since being taught.
  • Place all the ingredients in a Kilner Jar, and label up with date etc.
  • Place the Kilner Jar in a cool dark place and once a week shake the jar until the sugar has completely dissolved then leave well alone for a set period of time. I leave mine for a minimum of 3 months before straining off the berries from the liquid & bottling.
The final result a smooth lovely sloe whisky.


Happy Foraging!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant George, I will give it a go. thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.