Sunday 1 October 2017

Out with the Brown & In with the Silver

The weather forecast for the area was severe rain and a yellow warning for wind, so that was the fishing scuppered or so I thought!

I woke up this morning to find drizzle rain and no wind so a quick look at the water levels for the rivers and most were up but steady so it was a game of chance to see if I could find some Grayling for an hour or so.





I headed onto the river and found it to be up and coloured but still in a fishable state so arming myself with a couple of nymphs I set about looking for the Grayling.







First fish and and it was a trout, a quick photograph and it was gone, it never even seen the inside of the net.





The river seemed a lonely place today, most of the wild flowers have now died away and the birds which frequent the banks all but gone apart from the odd dipper making an appearance, all the sand martins nesting burrows empty apart from the odd spider which has now took up residence.




The second fish of the day, another trout.


and the third & forth which were all smaller,















The final shot of a trout, none to be seen again until the new season next year, and hopefully the blog will now be full of the most beautiful fish that swims our rivers, in my opinion!

I was beginning to lose faith about the Grayling as the wind was starting to pick up and I knew time was getting short, moving to a stretch where I had seen a few Grayling during the summer I was hoping that they had not ventured far and sure enough the indicator stopped and a Grayling graced my hand.







Nothing big but beautiful in every detail








As my nymphs hung in the flow whilst taking the photograph another grayling took the point fly.







Casting back into the pool the line went taught almost immediately and I lifted into what I initially thought to be another trout but turns out to be a slightly better Grayling.







The wind was gusting strong now and controlling the line & indicator was turning out to be a pain so decided another 10 minutes and I would call it quits after all I had been privileged with almost 2 hours of fishing that I thought I wouldnt have got.

A few more run throughs of the same pool and another Grayling almost identical to the last comes to the net.


It was time to head back to the car, I was contented and the fishing demons had been laid to rest for another week or so.




The trees are definitely looking autumnal and it wont be long until their golden leaves are washing downstream in the current leaving them bare. 








As I stepped over the last obstacle before arriving back at the car I seen a couple of fungi on the sheltered side of the trunk.


It wont be long until these too have disappeared and with that I disappeared away to the car, leaving the river to the wind, fallen leaves & rain.

4 comments:

  1. Hope we have a grand season with the lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. George the Grayling season is now in swing.
    Your photos are first rate, and that first pic is top of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alan, that's it now my favourite time of the year chasing my favourite fish, looking forward to this Grayling season.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.