Monday 3 June 2019

Not quite equal amounts....

Yesterday I had my day planned out in advance, a friend had told me of a waterfall up a feeder beck higher up the Dale that was worth the walk for some photographs so seeing as I was heading that way I would devote a couple of hours to the waterfall and then spend the rest of the day fishing.....except it didn't quite turn out as intended!

I arrived at the village and parked the car getting there early to avoid the walkers as I knew the car parking is very limited and that at least I could have the waterfall to myself for some photographs without having to worry about others around me. The walk to the waterfall was a nice gentle slope upwards for about a mile, nothing too strenuous and I found it very easily, the rocks with the morning rain were like sheets of ice, so great care was needed when setting up my tripod & gear.





With recent rains & the beck having a good flow of water on it made for good results as you can see from the first photograph.








I was just about to collapse everything & head back to the car when this couple appeared  & we got chatting, they informed me that there were further waterfalls higher up the ravine a total ascent of 600ft but were definitely worth the climb to the very top falls. My photography head took over and my fishing head got parked for slightly longer than I had anticipated, so off I set in the direction they had indicated.

The next set of falls I came to were smaller in comparison to the ones I had set out to photograph, but still quite nice in scenic terms.







Continuing to head upwards I came to the next set, the prettiest of them in my personal opinion.




















Leaving these falls behind the small track got steeper and muddier and with only a set of walking shoes on I was getting dirtier by the minute, but I was anticipating that it would be worth it,  so onward & upwards through the trees and the mud pools to finally I could hear the falls but they were still obscured by the trees, heading along the side of the bed, slipping & sliding in the mud I came to a spot where I could finally get to see the falls & sure enough they were worth the scrambling through the undergrowth and fallen trees.


The beck had revealed its secrets to me and I was glad that I had made the effort to see them, albeit it my foot attire wasnt that appropriate for the conditions, & due to this I had missed out at least another 2 or 3 smaller waterfalls on route to the top but these can be re visited at a later time when Im more appropriately dressed. On the descent back to the car I stopped along the way for some macro shots of the flowers which covered the woodland floor.







Tiny forget me not











and speedwell's


By the time I had headed back to the car and got my camera gear away it was well into the afternoon and I was famished so needed to take a break for something to eat.

The short drive from my current location to my chosen fishing grounds took around 20 minutes but I had bitten deep into my fishing time as I had promised the wife I would be home at a certain time.

Looking over the bridge I could see surface movement of fish rising to flies so that was it no doubt I was fishing even if only for an hour.

The first thing to be spotted was what the fish were rising too.





Blue winged olives but I could be mistaken as a few seem similar in appearance.










So hunting through my dry fly box for a suitable imitation I started my  hash dash fishing session.






It didn't take too long until the first fish albeit a splashy rise took my artificial.









The next fish lead me a merry dance before my leader got caught up in some overhanging willows and yep you guessed fish gone, the air turned slightly blue for a few short seconds! retrieving the remainder of the cast another fly and another fish covered.



Smaller but just as beautiful and totally wild, I couldn't ask for anything more.










another small fish covered and another small fish hooked before it was time to leave the river & head home.


Not quite the time split I had planned for my day but it was worth the extra time in the morning for the photographs 

4 comments:

  1. Some beautiful water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon, I love water being a fisherman but to see stunning waterfalls is just the icing on the cake, Im planning on heading back in the Autumn when there is some heavy water flowing as i think some of them will be spectacular looking.

      Delete
  2. Looks great, George. I'm going to trust you on the BWO as you were there. Mottled wings and that body would have me thinking March Brown over on this side of the pond. Local waters are so interesting. My olives are almost always of a uniform color rather than morrled. Great picture.


    I've a buddy who collected Hendrickson duns this year that were pink! Leave 'em alone for a minute and they go and change on you! A fellow on infinite form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Spike, Nice to hear from you buddy, Only reason Im going with BWO is because our MB's are a lot darker in the body & comparing it with photos I have, it wasnt quite right, it looked more towards the BWO but I could be wrong! Nature is a wonderful thing.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.