Sunday 28 July 2019

Head for the Hills

Well the fishing was short lived but not through anything apart from mother nature with torrential rain lifting every main river in the Dales, flood warning sirens going off in a few places and block roads due to flood water, so it was a day to head to the hills away from it all, so grabbing the walking bag and camera off I set high up on the grouse moors above swaledale.






The views up Swaledale.







One of the many waterfalls I came across on my walk


A couple of shots of the many grouse that were out on the moors, nice to see such a healthy environment with me also spotting my first yellowhammer, a bird that I has eluded me up till today & although I didn't manage to get a photograph of it , it was a nice sight even though I was sucking air deep into my lungs after a steep climb, it certainly perked me up.



The encounter I had whilst taking these next couple of photographs made me chuckle. In the middle of nowhere, with no marked paths on the map, I even followed the beck upstream just for ease of walking & stumbled across this small waterfall. Half way through taking the photographs I heard a noise behind me & turned to see 3 lady walkers  stumbling across the heather waving at me...They were lets say geographically embarrassed and were looking for a track which was over 1.5 miles east of the current location so after a small map reading bearing lesson off they set in the correct direction, my good deed for the day done. 



Heading in the opposite direction to what the female walkers set off in I was soon heading back down into the trees and with an abundance of wild raspberries picked as I went it was a good day to be out for a walk. I notice that the hazel nuts are starting to ripen on the trees and it makes me wonder where 2019 has gone, its passed so quickly this year with us almost into August already.



One last set of waterfalls before heading back in the direction of the car, a distance of 9 miles covered from the start, most uphill but some beautiful views across the dales so Im not complaining and to see this last photograph before heading to the car certainly put a smile on my face.


A farmer with a sense of humour.


8 comments:

  1. Hello George

    That looked like a decent way to spend the day. I used to see both Grey and Yellow Wagtails frequently on the Northern rivers (never together for some reason), but rarely see the Yellow variety anymore.

    Regards

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers dave, I still from time to time see yellow wagtails, the grey are common on the rivers I fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture is fantastic - and people say Yorkshire falmers are dour!

    When I was a kid, we used to see dozens of Yellowhammers around the country lanes and hedges but they were noticeable by their absence for along time. \then a couple of years ago we started to see them again - not many, but such a beautiful site just the same. Then earlier this year I was out walking with the wife and kids along the escarpment at Sutton Bank between Gormire and the 'White Horse' and we saw dozens - the yellow flash is so distinct and enough to cheer anyone.

    Thanks

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first one I've ever seen Alistair, I had to 2nd look it as it sat on the hedgerow where I was resting to get my breath back, looked it up when I got home not a common bird by far.

      Delete
  4. Hello George

    That was a Specsavers moment. I've just realised you wrote Yellowhammer (not wagtail). Must learn to read :)

    Regards

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no worries mate I often do the same even with my specs on...lol

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.