Sunday 26 August 2018

Gone a Wandering

With heavy rain and high winds forecast for much of today I decided to head out for a few hours yesterday afternoon, not even contemplating having a look at the water as I didn't think it would be at the level I found it at when I arrived at the river.

I hadn't known that it had rained hard on friday night as there was no mention of it or indications of it on Saturday morning but the river rose considerably late friday night to almost a meter & it was this that I seen when arriving on the river, almost at the top of being fishable.






Undeterred I decided to have an hour anyway and within the first 10 minutes had a small Grayling.








Nothing much happened after this as I connected & lost a further 3 fish all slipping the hook in the faster water, so deciding to call it quits I went a wandering with the camera along the hedgerows back towards the car.


The bright red hawthorn berries bringing a bit of colour to the hedgerows, and the blue wild flowers splattered along their bases.







I also stumbled across a blackthorn bush, and low & behold the Sloes are almost ripe already, It certainly won't be the end of September that these will be ripe so better think of heading to my favourite picking spots in the next few weeks, for the most important ingredients of my sloe whisky.









This young fellow decided he wanted to come and greet me as I walked past his paddock.






Driving home the scenic way I briefly stopped off at East Witton church for a few shots in the late afternoon sun.

4 comments:

  1. We've enjoyed rain and high winds, Sunday was terrible, and unless we get and Indian summer in September I think That's it and we're back to normal. Love the little blue Harebells, haven't seen those for years. Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to pick up again this week weather wise but I don't think it will be too much John, when I seen the Harebells that was my thoughts too, I haven't seen them in years, nice to know they are still around.

      Delete
  2. Many of my best days fishing have been off the water. There is so much to enjoy out there.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, it was too good a night to just drive home and forget it, hence the bit of a wander to places I normally wouldn't bother with, it was certainly nice for sure.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.