Saturday 28 March 2020

A Bit Different

Well what can I say apart from stay safe & stay at home, this is a totally different world we live in & this wasnt what all the Brown Trout anglers were expecting a day or so into the new season....

I like many other anglers who hadn't been out for a while due to the weather conditions in Yorkshire I was looking forward to a new season as the Grayling season this year was an almost total washout, but I like many others prefer self preservation over fishing and we are staying away from the rivers, sadly to say others are not & burying their heads in the sand with every excuse under the sun, thats only until someone close to them gets the virus then Im sure their attitudes will change (sad to say it but some folk just dont listen until it happens to them or a friend)  so Im glad that most Angling clubs are now shutting their waters, its the right thing to do in my opinion.

Im not on total lock-down just yet as Im classed as a key worker so getting to work although a very different work than it was a few weeks ago, allows me to break the monotony of being sat at home like most fisher folk, but am sure all these books that are sat on your bookshelves that you never got around to reading will ease the burden somewhat.


For me when & if we go into total lock-down its going to be furled leader making & I may even revisit the world of float making but the other passion is photography and although the rivers were not kind to me during the past Grayling season it made for great photography conditions with several waterfalls & other places of interest visited, many of which I still need to edit, so boredom isn't going to be factor for me.





I just hope all my friends and blog reader stay safe and am sure we will all soon be stood on our favourite river with the sun on our backs & the brown trout rising to our dry flies.

Take care everyone
 &
STAY AT HOME

10 comments:

  1. George you and your good Wife take care, The Lady's and the Brownies will still be there when this is all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you & your family Neil, No chances being taken by me thats for sure.

      Delete
  2. Hi George

    I managed two trips to the Leven before the 'lock down' and my club closing the river to their members.

    I hope the current situation will make society in general take stock and think about who and what is important in their lives.

    I too work in a 'key' industry but it is getting harder and harder to carry out my work.

    When the time comes (and I sure it won't be long) to stay at home, I will probably be spending time going through my fly boxes, reevaluating my stocks and will probably repurpose the hooks.

    Take care and stay safe.

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Alistair, I hope your well. I've got a load of jobs both non fishing & fishing related that Im hesitant to do as I know like you have said before long we all will be on lock-down no matter if your a key worker or not. Stay safe mate & am sure we will all be on the river in due course again.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear from you George and glad you're safe and well.

    My new Thornaby card landed on the doormat this morning (I know I was a little late and I've paid the fine :)). Needless to say I'm champing at the bit to get out there too. Hopefully the sun will have warmed their backs by the time we're allowed out again.

    Regards

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tut Tut Dave imagine being late....lol, At least you didn't try & fish the water 5 days before the start of the season, I had to ask people to leave when I had a walk out on the stretch, caught 2 with fly rods & 1 with a worm ledgering in a hole, needless to say they all left but after every excuse under the sun came out their mouths! I haven't fished since January but you know what I can wait, Im a patient fellow...be safe mate .

      Delete
  4. Great photos and landscape.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, Not fishing scenes unfortunately but in these difficult times they are better than nothing.

      Delete
  5. Hello buddy, just touching base after a long time. I'm dabbling with a few floats again, some with a cork body, still not gotten the lathe as yet. I can see you're ok and still fishing, I'm still on the Trent when able. www.rivertrentangler.com Best wishes Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,
      Nice to hear from you again. I've not made a float in years myself, maybe one day I will go back to it as I was left with a very bad taste in my mouth after teaching a few folk. Im only wishing of fishing right now like most anglers but it will come again when the time is right. Take it easy & be safe. Kind regards George

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.