Monday 19 February 2018

Simple Things

I have to regrettably say another weekend of no fishing!
High river water and domestic duties for a second weekend put paid to that, but things are marching along nicely with the house and it won't be long until those long summer nights and all the upheaval of plastering, & electricians will be but a distant speck in my memory.

It wasnt all bad news, as I came home tonight to receive a package with a postmark from Austria which meant only one thing, My old military friend Klaus had been up to his usual tricks of posting things over without notification.





As I opened the box I was greeted with a handwritten letter and a display of handmade floats which he had graciously made for me.









a lovely selection which I will put to good use at some point in the future.





I was then confronted with a leather covered box......and on opening.
a surgical set 







Something that will come in very handy not only in the fly tying & float making. Simple things that make such a difference in the pursuit of creating floats & flies for our sport.





And talking of creating, a few flies I knocked up after seeing a similar fly on the net so decided to try my hand.


#20 IOBO Humpy fly, created by Jack Tucker of Pennsylvania in the USA and modified in the UK for ease of tying.





Another couple of nymphs this time with some Nymph skin and some 20lbs nylon as legs.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely surprise George, that medical set looks very handy.
    Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely steven, cracking pressie, will aid a lot of my creations for sure.

      Delete
  2. My whole life has been devoted to simplicity.
    Beauty excels in the simple things in life.
    Case in point..just look above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, Im over the moon with the gifts from Klaus.

      Delete
  3. Nice Humpy. These look trout-y for sure.

    Not sure about the legs on nymphs. Those give me the willies. Not sure why. maybe it's the one on his back. Dead Bug! (somebody has to pay the bar tab).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spike, I can send you some willies over to overcome your fear but it will need to be in exchange for some blueberry scones...lol, Im just hoping they are enticing to the fish though.

      Delete
  4. It's a great honor to me you displayed the floats on your blog! (the first time ever, some of my floats are posted on the net......) Concerning the medical set my thoughts were: "the right tools to the right hands"
    klaus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Klaus,
      They are where they deserve to be, for all the world to see what a great job of them you done & your unselfish nature to send me some beautiful gifts which Im proud to have.
      Its my honour to call you my friend although we have never met, your family would be welcome here anytime. Thank you again.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.