Saturday 23 March 2019

Almost There!

Well it's that time of year again, when anticipation of the new brown trout season only a mere 24 hours away got the club members out onto the banks but not with a rod, plenty of work to be done before that happens!



Today we had members out on the banks but instead of rods & reels it was saws, loppers & trimmers which were the tools of the day at the annual work party.








I have to say the floods of last week saved us a lot of work by scouring most of the lying debris far downstream or high up the banks where it doesn't effect the fishing. Making our way downstream in teams is certainly has changed the river in some places beyond recognition, where there was shallow glides there now exists a 2ft gouge where the flood has ripped all the shingle away and scoured the riverbed.

It was pretty easy going and in the few short hours before the AGM a lot of work was achieved.






The flowers are out in abundance with these miniature daffodils catching my eye, totally in the wild growing.







The AGM confirmed all our expectations and the committee elected for another year, well done lads a great job, but one thing that is profoundly evident is the lack of younger members!

Being a mere spritely 52 years young I am by far the youngest member and it's my fear that when Im the age of most of the members in the club, the club will be a mere shadow of what it is now.

I'd love to hear from readers if its the same in their clubs, are we all a dying breed? will there be any fly fisherman left around in 30 - 40 years to carry on the mantle of the small Dale's clubs. Who Knows.

Talking of things of the past, It was really a nice change to come home during the week to a handwritten letter all the way from the USA, thanking me & giving me feedback on the weight forward  furled leaders I formulated & sent across to the USA for a Yellowstone expedition last year.





Jack I have emailled you in the short term thanking you & I sincerely hope you got my email but I will reply in the same manner that you did for me, Thank you my friend you are a true gent.











It's these touches that makes it worth while for me, the money side of things is irrelevant & covers the cost of the materials to make them, my time and the feedback that Im helping guys to improve their casting that gives me the greatest buzz, and for a guy who Ive never met to send letters like above thats what makes it for me, thank you again Jack.

May I wish everyone all the best for the forthcoming trout season, Im hoping to be back on the river tomorrow albeit a little further away from where I would like as its still closed season in Yorkshire so must travel. Tight lines all.

5 comments:

  1. George. Great little blog again. Just wish one of my clubs would arrange a works party for parts of the Swale. Hope to see you on the bank some time in 2019. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Neil, I had an invite from another club on the Swale yesterday to join but I had to decline. I intend to get out on the upper swale a lot more this year.

      Delete
  2. I often fish above Richmond on the Swale, Richmond Club.

    But first I have to get my self a new rod after the breakage, but not sure what to buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im heading way up top, I fish the swale at Grinton but this year have an invite to fish a few of the feeder becks even higher up.

      Delete
    2. I will look forward to reading about your ventures.

      Fished just upstream of Reeth on the Swale mind you that would 40 years ago with Scottie cane rod and a intrepide reel

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.